Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hearing music for the first time: a deaf man's story


Austin Chapman was born almost entirely deaf. Through the use of hearings aids he was able to discern some sounds, but nothing that made music special to him: 

"My whole life I’ve seen hearing people make a fool of themselves singing their favorite song or gyrating on the dance floor. I’ve also seen hearing people moved to tears by a single song. That was the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around.”

Through the help of an upgraded hearing aid (Phonak’s NaĆ­da S Premium) he was able to experience music for the first time. Below is his reaction to first hearing Mozart's Lacrimosa:
"Being able to hear the music for the first time ever was unreal.
When Mozart’s Lacrimosa came on, I was blown away by the beauty of it. At one point of the song, it sounded like angels singing and I suddenly realized that this was the first time I was able to appreciate music. Tears rolled down my face and I tried to hide it. But when I looked over I saw that there wasn’t a dry eye in the car."

The full story can be found HERE. (via The Atlantic)

1 comment: